You are here
Heritage Open Day: Guildford's Treadwheel Crane
Come and join volunteers from the Wey & Arun Canal Trust at the Town Wharf in Guildford (opposite the White House pub and St Nicolas church - also, Church tower open during the morning for visits to the top and bell chamber) and see the Guildford Treadwheel Crane.
Meet our costumed boat people along the wharf side who will be on hand to talk about life onboard. Also childrens' activities, a sales stand featuring river and canal goods plus historical photographic display. Open 11am to 3pm on Saturday 9th September.
For further information please contact the Wey & Arun Canal Trust, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wey Navigation was opened in 1653 and the crane which stands on the redeveloped riverside at Guildford probably dates from the late 17th century. It was used to load and unload barges at the former wharf, close to its present position, and was worked by men walking inside the 18 foot diameter wheel.
Access to exterior at any time (SU 994 494).