- About the Canal
- Canoes & Boats
- Public Boat Trips
You are here
Annual Meeting of the Wey & Arun Canal Trust
Notice of Annual Meeting
The 45th Annual General Meeting of the Wey & Arun Canal Trust Ltd will take place at North Hall, Loxwood on Saturday 21st April 2018 at 2.30pm.
The formal agenda will be as follows:
1. Apologies for absence [see note 1 below].
2. To receive and adopt the Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held on 29th April 2017 [see note 2 below].
3. To receive the Chairman’s Report.
4. To adopt the Accounts and Balance Sheet for the year ended 31 December 2017, together withthe Directors’ and Independent Examiner’s Reports [see note 3 below].
5. To appoint the Independent Examiners for 2018 and to authorise the Council of Management to determine their remuneration.
6. Election of Directors
a. Julian Morgan, Sally Schupke, and Tony Tyrrell retire in accordance with section 42 of the Trust’s Articles of Association and are eligible for re-election.
b. Candidates nominated in accordance with section 45 of the Trust’s Articles of Association [see note 4 below].
7. To receive a Report from the Chairman of W&A Enterprises Ltd.
8. To transact any other business proper to an Annual General Meeting, namely to approve minor changes to WACT Memorandum and Articles of Association. [See note 5 below for details].
9. Date of next meeting - proposed to be 27th October, venue to be confirmed.
10. Close of formal meeting.
At this point the meeting will break for refreshments. You will have the chance to visit our displays and sale stands and to talk with project and group managers.
After the refreshment break the programme is planned to be:
1. Summit Level project update (Tony Ford).
2. Bramley Link (Philip Oliver).
3. Presentation of the Jack King and John East CupsTony Tyrrell (Honorary Secretary) email@example.com, 01483 279767, 27 Summerlands, Cranleigh, Surrey GU6 7BP
1. Apologies for absence should be supplied to the Hon. Sec before the start of the meeting.
2. Copies of the previous (2017) Minutes will be available at the meeting; the DRAFT minutes can be downloaded using the link on this page.
3. Copies of the Report and Accounts will be available at the meeting; if you would like a copy in advance, please contact the Northern Office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. The Trust warmly welcomes newcandidates for election as Directors. The formal requirements are:
a. A paid-up member of the Trust must propose your election in writing (and you must agree to the proposal);
b. The proposal must reach the Hon. Sec at least 14 days before the meeting – that is, by 7 April 2018 (the Secretary has a proposal form, although you are not obliged to use it).
5. Proposed changes to the Trust’s Memorandum of Association, clauses 3, 4 (iii) & (iv). The changes are highlighted in the following extracts:
3. The objects for which the Trust is established are the preservation, maintenance in good order, improvement and construction of canals, navigable rivers and inland waterways (hereinafter called “navigations”) for the use of the public. Provided that these primary objects shall be carried out and the powers hereinafter conferred upon the Trust shall be exercised exclusively in a manner beneficial to the public and recognised by the law of England as charitable.
4 (iii) To maintain and improve for the purposes of the Trust any navigation or former navigation having been abandoned and in particular the Wey & Arun Junction Canal in the Counties of Surrey and Sussex and at the northern end the Bramley Stream or the Cranleigh Waters linking it to the Wey Navigation in Surrey and at the southern end the Arun Navigation linking it to the River Arun at Pallingham Lock in Sussex together with any of their tributaries (which navigation or former navigation and tributaries are herein called the “Wey & Arun” or the “Wey & Arun Canal”).
(iv) For the purposes aforesaid to maintain, and improve and construct any navigation and in particular the Wey & Arun and either alone or jointly with any other persons corporations bodies or public or local authorities and with and subject to all such consents statutory enactments or orders and acts in the law as may be applicable to a navigation and in particular to the Wey & Arun or necessary for the carrying out of the above objects.