The Wey & Arun canal attracts a huge variety of people, from all walks of life. Bank managers, farmers, pilots, solicitors, fitters, delivery drivers, plumbers – they all have a role to play in restoring this canal. But they all have something in common, which is enthusiasm for the project and a wish to make a contribution. Can you help us?
Project Planning & Administration
We are looking for volunteers to help with the administration of WACT. Before a spade can be struck into the soil, a lot of background preparation needs to be done – and someone needs to do it. Can you help?
Please contact WACT Surrey Office on 01483 505566 or firstname.lastname@example.org to talk through any of the vacancies listed below and what they would involve. This is a tremendous opportunity for you to get involved in and contribute significantly to the success of this award-winning canal restoration project.
- Content manager for the website. Our website needs to be constantly reviewed and updated with news, including correcting any errors that have been overlooked. Updates needed and/or notify the page authors and suggest new content.
- Index of Land Registry titles that we hold, keep landowner information and details up to date, updating our complimentary newsletter mailing lists.
- Publicity – design or update our posters when needed and arrange distribution. Help source and/or write items for Wey-South Magazine to reduce editor’s workload.
- Mobile Display Vehicle (MDV) - organise attendance of our towable display unit which is staffed by volunteers at events throughout the year and occasionally help out at those events
- Special events – we need someone who is a good organiser. The task includes booking hall, catering, PA system, sending out VIP invitations and being on hand during the day to oversee the event such as official openings, special visitors.
Health and Safety - we need one or more people with Health & Safety experience, ideally relating to construction and similar work. You need to be comfortable with Risk Assessments and similar requirements. As well as working at a desk, you will need to go to work sites and become familiar with how our teams approach jobs.
To find out more please contact email@example.com
Most of these tasks can be done from home providing you have email and possibly a printer. Help will be given to get you started, but we are looking for volunteers to be able to take on the briefing and do the job with little day-to-day supervision. This will relieve the workload of some of our directors, who in turn can get on with their job which is expanding all the time. We would be grateful for all offers of help. If we can use volunteers then this will, of course, reduce our paid staffing levels so more money goes into canal restoration. It’s as simple as that.
The Wey & Arun Canal Trust
You may have seen our noticeboards, leaflets all along the canal route. This is only a very small part publicity plays in promoting and fundraising for the restoration work. We need help with designing our publications and walks leaflets as well as manning our stands at outdoor events and mobile display vehicle which flies the flag at such major events as Surrey County Show, Wings & Wheels and Cranleigh show.
If you think you can help, please contact WACT Surrey Office on 01483 505566 firstname.lastname@example.org
If you enjoy meeting and talking to people, there is an excellent opportunity for you to join our group of canal centre volunteers. Your role would cover the issuing of boat passes, entering the passengers name on a trip sheet, taking money and putting it through the till, sale of merchandise, canoe licences, answering the phone and generally interacting with the public, talking about the canal, its history, our restoration programme and the locality, etc. In house training will be provided.
Please contact Lyn Nash, 01403 752046 or email@example.com
Engineering & Technical
Want to use your expertise and engineering skills? Perhaps you have just retired and feel that the time is now right to be one of our volunteers? Project planning, surveys and building consent can take up to three years before the work can begin. We are always on the lookout for people who can speed up the process by giving us help in this area. If you have worked in the construction or water-based industries then your experience would be particularly relevant to our current projects.
Please contact Sally Schupke on 01483 505566 (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss further.