In 1816, The Wey & Arun Junction Canal opened to great fanfare, linking the Wey Navigation near Guildford to the south coast via the Arun Navigation. Conceived during the Napoleonic Wars, the Canal was intended to provide a safe, efficient route from London to Portsmouth to carry goods supplying the dockyards. In its heyday, the Canal did carry many tons of cargo but the end of the war with France, and the arrival of the railways, sounded the death knell for the Wey & Arun as a business, and by 1871 it was formally closed.
200 years after it opened, over 3,000 members and volunteers are working to reopen the Wey & Arun Canal for leisure. With your help we can achieve this seemingly impossible task, and already several miles of the Canal are in regular use by small boats, canoes, and the Trust's own trip boats.
Due to low water levels caused by the lack of rain over the last two months, all our boat trips are suspended until 7th September when a further update will be given.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and we will be back in action as soon as we can. In the meantime, a stretch of canal at Loxwood is open for canoeing and paddleboarding.
There is a volunteer summer camp starting Saturday 20th August who will be replacing a number of landing stages along the Loxwood section, so please watch out for the signs. The towpath at Devil's Hole Lock to Southland Lock is also being resurfaced during the week.